apology to Americans
silver
2004-01-15 22:19:14 UTC
On behalf of Canadians everywhere I'd like to offer an apology to the
United States of America.

We haven't been getting along very well recently and for that, I am
truly sorry.
I'm sorry we called George Bush a moron. He is a moron but, it wasn't
nice of us to point it out. If it's any consolation, the fact that he's
a moron shouldn't reflect poorly on the people of America. After all
it's not like you actually elected him.

I'm sorry about our softwood lumber. Just because we have more trees
than you doesn't give us the right to sell you lumber that's cheaper and
better than your own.

I'm sorry we beat you in Olympic hockey. In our defense I guess our
excuse would be that our team was much, much, much, much better than
yours.

I'm sorry we burnt down your white house during the war of 1812. I
notice you've rebuilt it! It's Very Nice.

I'm sorry about your beer. I know we had nothing to do with your beer
but, we Feel your Pain.

I'm sorry about our waffling on Iraq. I mean, when you're going up
against a crazed dictator, you wanna have your friends by your side. I
realize it took more than two years before you guys pitched in against
Hitler, but that was different. Everyone knew he had weapons.

And finally on behalf of all Canadians, I'm sorry that we're constantly
apologizing for things in a passive-aggressive way which is really a
thinly veiled criticism. I sincerely hope that you're not upset over
this.

We've seen what you do to countries you get upset with.

Thank you.

LOL... I loved it when they read this on CBC

silver
Martijn
2004-01-15 23:07:40 UTC
Post by silver
LOL... I loved it when they read this on CBC
Hehe it's great :))

Gandalf Parker
2004-01-15 23:34:57 UTC
Post by silver
I'm sorry we burnt down your white house during the war of 1812. I
notice you've rebuilt it! It's Very Nice.
Pardon my ignorance but I must admit that this keeps confusing me. I
learned of the "War of 1812" but it was against the British. Was Canada
actually Canada then? I mean I'd hate to claim the many wins vs the
northern tribes when we were still British as being the US kicking Canada's
tail.

Gandalf Parker
DarkSamurai
2004-01-16 00:03:28 UTC
Post by Gandalf Parker
Post by silver
I'm sorry we burnt down your white house during the war of 1812. I
notice you've rebuilt it! It's Very Nice.
Pardon my ignorance but I must admit that this keeps confusing me. I
learned of the "War of 1812" but it was against the British. Was Canada
actually Canada then? I mean I'd hate to claim the many wins vs the
northern tribes when we were still British as being the US kicking Canada's
tail.
Gandalf Parker
You are right about that one, "Canada was Canada" in 1867. As for the
rest, I'd have to look up in one of my book (which I'm not going to) but
I think "Canada" was part of the British North America in 1812 which was
known as Upper and Lower Canada.
--
DarkSamurai

Homepage: http://tinyurl.com/yrqtl
silver
2004-01-16 00:39:38 UTC
Post by Gandalf Parker
Pardon my ignorance but I must admit that this keeps confusing me. I
learned of the "War of 1812" but it was against the British. Was
Canada actually Canada then?
Yes Canada was actually Canada (the British colony with many Provinces),
just like America was actually America (.
It wasn't till 1841 when the "Act of Union" created the United Provinces of
Canada. Then in 1846 U.S.-Canada boundary is established at 49th Parallel.

Canada has existed for most of her life as a British colony and we have
been happy with that unlike some people south of us.;)
It wasn't till 1949 that Newfoundland joined the rest of Canada and was the
last British Colony here to be united.

The Union of the United States were still admitting states in 1912, but it
did not mean that America was not America, just like Canada was/is Canada
even if we were started off as British Colony.
Post by Gandalf Parker
I mean I'd hate to claim the many wins vs
the northern tribes when we were still British as being the US kicking
Canada's tail.
The British and others defended the land of Canada from the invaders who
thought we all wanted to be Americians.
Mark B. Reinhold
2004-01-16 01:08:04 UTC
Post by silver
The British and others defended the land of Canada from the invaders who
thought we all wanted to be Americians.
But you are americans
--
Mark

37 58.79 N 121 43.72 W
Is it the Smoke that bothers you, or the sight of someone enjoying himself?
Gandalf Parker
2004-01-16 01:11:54 UTC
Post by Mark B. Reinhold
Post by silver
The British and others defended the land of Canada from the invaders who
thought we all wanted to be Americians.
But you are americans
Well I think they were but we shoved them into the attic and forgot them.

Gandalf Parker
-- HEY! Back Off! I was only half serious.
Mark B. Reinhold
2004-01-16 01:19:51 UTC
Post by Gandalf Parker
Post by Mark B. Reinhold
But you are americans
Well I think they were but we shoved them into the attic and forgot them.
Gandalf Parker
-- HEY! Back Off! I was only half serious.
My Mexican friends who live in Mexico get pissed at hell about this. Us
americans are really "Norte Americanos". Mexicans are Americans too. There
is North American, South America, and the United States.

Me, I am a World Class Nerd type semi-hacker now

Gandalf Parker
2004-01-16 02:25:39 UTC
Post by Mark B. Reinhold
Post by Gandalf Parker
Post by Mark B. Reinhold
But you are americans
Well I think they were but we shoved them into the attic and forgot them.
Gandalf Parker
-- HEY! Back Off! I was only half serious.
My Mexican friends who live in Mexico get pissed at hell about this.
Us americans are really "Norte Americanos". Mexicans are Americans
too. There is North American, South America, and the United States.
Good point And one I should try to keep in mind. thanks

Gandalf Parker
Leo Fellmann
2004-01-16 08:34:46 UTC
Post by Mark B. Reinhold
Post by Gandalf Parker
Post by Mark B. Reinhold
But you are americans
Well I think they were but we shoved them into the attic and forgot them.
Gandalf Parker
-- HEY! Back Off! I was only half serious.
My Mexican friends who live in Mexico get pissed at hell about this.
Us americans are really "Norte Americanos". Mexicans are Americans
too. There is North American, South America, and the United States.
There are in fact two united states. Mexico is actually called 'The united
states of Mexico' - look it up if you want, it's the first line of their
constitution :)
So you're not really safe unless you say 'USA' and 'USAian' ( that really
sounds terrible)
root1657
2004-01-17 17:52:17 UTC
Post by Leo Fellmann
There are in fact two united states. Mexico is actually called 'The united
states of Mexico' - look it up if you want, it's the first line of their
constitution :)
So you're not really safe unless you say 'USA' and 'USAian' ( that really
sounds terrible)
Strange as it is, and as flexible as our language tends to be, this is
one place where it doesnt give good coverage. USA is a perfect title for
the country, as is the often used USoA of US of A. As for the people,
USAian and USian are both actually non-existant terms that we seem to
have invented very very recently. I believe we are in most contexts
refered to as simply americans, which isnt intended to confuse us with
the other people, who have separate terms such as canadian or mexican.
Also, when refering to the people of north america collectivly, then it
is most common to use the actual term north american. To refer to the
perople of the US without using the generic term american, it would
seem, that without inventing new terms, the proper wording would seem to
be US citizens, or people of the USA. Use of other terms, as long as
intended for clarity of couse, should be fine, as long as it actually
clarifies.... english is flexible like that.....
xxx
Lissi
2004-01-21 12:20:38 UTC
Post by root1657
Strange as it is, and as flexible as our language tends to be, this is
one place where it doesnt give good coverage. USA is a perfect title for
the country, as is the often used USoA of US of A. As for the people,
USAian and USian are both actually non-existant terms that we seem to
have invented very very recently. I believe we are in most contexts [snip]
Heh. Here you could use "Ami" as well, but it doesn't have
_any_ connotations like the similar-sounding French word. Quite
to the contrary.

I think _because_ it's so recent, "USian" is sufficiently
neutral and short enough not to be a waste of ink/bandwidth.
Besides, I hate building my sentences around unwieldy
expressions, so I'll use "USian".

Of course, we could use "Ami" (or "Merkin") and then you could
hope that it changes meaning like "Old Europe" did. OTOH I guess
it would take similar circumstances for that to happen.

Lissi
--
Life ain't fair, but the root password helps.
- BOFH
RC5 team FAQ: http://www.alt-hacker.org/~wolf/RC5-72.html
Gandalf Parker
2004-01-21 13:18:08 UTC
Post by Lissi
Of course, we could use "Ami" (or "Merkin") and then you could
hope that it changes meaning like "Old Europe" did. OTOH I guess
it would take similar circumstances for that to happen.
The military, for clarity, taught me to refer to my ancestry as "Amerind"
for American Indian. It was clearer than saying Indian and all the
questions which had to follow that.

Gandalf Parker
-- Just like an Indian...
brought a knife to a gun fight.
Chesucat
2004-01-16 03:59:27 UTC
Gandalf Parker wrote:

GP>Well I think they were but we shoved them into the attic and forgot them.

Ross Perot's crazy old aunt in the attic?

<chesucat twitched>
--
chesucat_at_sdf_dit_lonestar_dot_org_dah!

:wq
silver
2004-01-16 02:14:22 UTC
Post by Mark B. Reinhold
But you are americans
Ya we are the ones north of the "Great Satan"....

silver
DarkSamurai
2004-01-16 01:49:38 UTC
Post by Gandalf Parker
I mean I'd hate to claim the many wins vs
the northern tribes when we were still British as being the US kicking
Canada's tail.
The British and others defended the land of Canada from the invaders who
thought we all wanted to be Americians.
Slight correction: "Canada never was officially Canada" until the 1867
Confederation. I knew I didnt need my book for that one :
http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/confederation/index-e.html

silver
2004-01-16 02:08:01 UTC
Post by DarkSamurai
Slight correction: "Canada never was officially Canada" until the 1867
http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/confederation/index-e.html
What is the correction for?

Yes confedration happen then in 1867, but the Act of Union happen in 1841.
And Canada was still Canada even if it was still not under the
confedration. The Land was called Canada was it not for many years bfore
1812?

http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/2/18/h18-2954-e.html
DarkSamurai
2004-01-16 03:08:33 UTC
Post by silver
Post by DarkSamurai
Slight correction: "Canada never was officially Canada" until the 1867
http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/confederation/index-e.html
What is the correction for?
Yes confedration happen then in 1867, but the Act of Union happen in 1841.
And Canada was still Canada even if it was still not under the
confedration. The Land was called Canada was it not for many years bfore
1812?
http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/2/18/h18-2954-e.html
"The objective pursued by England in the Act of Union was clear: hammer
together a British-style parliamentary system with an artificial
majority, while waiting for immigration to run its course and give the
British a real majority. Such a system would in all likelihood adopt
policies favourable to British colonization."

Like you say, the Act of Union was in 1841, therefore, before the Act of
Union, for exemple in 1812 wasnt therefore "Canada". On the other hand,
the Act of Union was simply to unite the 2 provinces of Canada, the
Upper Canada and the Lower Canada into one *province* named Canada.

"The objective pursued by England in the Act of Union was clear: hammer
together a British-style parliamentary system with an artificial
majority, while waiting for immigration to run its course and give the
British a real majority. Such a system would in all likelihood adopt
policies favourable to British colonization."

While Canada today is a country, in 1841 it was a province and in 1812
was a colony. So to say that "Canada in 1812 is Canada" is merely an
opinion and while saying that Canada as we know it today was born in
1867 is a fact. But yes it was called Upper and Lower Canada before the
Act of 1841 (and even after for that matter), but to answer properly the
question i thought important to bring this technical aspect as to when
Canada was actually Canada...

silver
2004-01-16 03:50:04 UTC
Post by DarkSamurai
While Canada today is a country, in 1841 it was a province and in 1812
was a colony. So to say that "Canada in 1812 is Canada" is merely an
opinion and while saying that Canada as we know it today was born in
1867 is a fact. But yes it was called Upper and Lower Canada before the
Act of 1841 (and even after for that matter), but to answer properly the
question i thought important to bring this technical aspect as to when
Canada was actually Canada...
Canada got its name from an Iroquois word, "Kanata", meaning "village".

The name "Canada" comes from a chance meeting between Jacques Cartier and
two young native Indians in 1535. In 1547 everything north of the St.
Lawrence River was designated as "Canada." The first official use of the
name was in 1791 when East of the great lakes was divided into Upper and
Lower Canada (Meanwhile, new land of Canada is being charted west of the
great lakes).

Mid-1850’s.... The game of ice hockey is devised in Canada. :) And we still
don't need to highlight the puck to see it..(grin)

On July 1, 1867 the date of the country’s confederation... the name
“Canada” was assumed.

and last but not least... 1893 The first Stanley Cup game takes place.

silver
DarkSamurai
2004-01-16 04:40:51 UTC
You play hockey silver?

I usually play on an outside rink and it's too damn cold here in Ottawa
lately! -46*C today...

silver
2004-01-16 05:05:04 UTC
Post by DarkSamurai
You play hockey silver?
I usually play on an outside rink and it's too damn cold here in Ottawa
lately! -46*C today...
Played HighSchool Hockey when I went to highschool back east, but got away
from it after highschool.

Yah, the East has been dealing with some crazy days; it makes me happy to
be here in the west.

We did have a chilly day here +10C... hehe

silver
HiEv
2004-01-16 08:31:58 UTC
silver wrote:
[snip]
Post by silver
We did have a chilly day here +10C... hehe
It's 5°F (-15°C) right now in Philadelphia. The winds are at 20-30 MPH
(32-48 KPH) right now, which brings the wind chill down to around -10°F
(-23°C).

brrrrrr.....

I *HATE* cold! My heater can barely keep up with the temperatures
outside.

<teeth chattering>
--
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence
has its limits.
silver
2004-01-16 09:25:42 UTC
It's 5øF (-15øC) right now in Philadelphia. The winds are at 20-30 MPH
(32-48 KPH) right now, which brings the wind chill down to around -10øF
(-23øC).
brrrrrr.....
I *HATE* cold! My heater can barely keep up with the temperatures
outside.
I hate the cold also, and the cold along the east coast is worst then the
cold in the prairies, because it is more of a wet cold then a dry cold.
I lived in Edmonton (prairies) and the dry cold (-30C) there was nothing
like the cold along the Coast. Give me a dry cold any day over a wet cold
that is happening in the NorthEast right now.

My folks back East (Nova Scotia) said it was -49C with the wind chill. they
had to carry their dog in after being out only 5 min.s, he was that
cold..... he is a little dog.

:) <-- this is me being VERY thankful that I live in a RainForest that
stays above +9 right now..

Anyone in the NorthEast saying we are getting Global Warming now? hehe :)

silver
Onkel Petey
2004-01-16 14:50:52 UTC
Post by silver
[...]
Check weather where I am. Lately I have had to work nights to check for
water lines breaking or leaking.
http://cuinfo.cornell.edu/Ithaca/Weather/
silver
2004-01-16 21:07:14 UTC
Post by Onkel Petey
Check weather where I am. Lately I have had to work nights to check for
water lines breaking or leaking.
http://cuinfo.cornell.edu/Ithaca/Weather/
Brrr..

I also seen on the American News that New Hampshire had 44 below with a
wind chill of - 100 F. That is just crazy....

silver
Mark B. Reinhold
2004-01-16 21:40:59 UTC
Post by silver
I also seen on the American News that New Hampshire had 44 below with a
wind chill of - 100 F. That is just crazy....
silver
Well, 44 here, and I am cold. So in 5 hours I am tough to Cabo San Lucas.
Land of Sun, Fun, and Fish. Have fun everyone, see you in a week.

silver
2004-01-17 01:55:05 UTC
Post by Mark B. Reinhold
Well, 44 here, and I am cold. So in 5 hours I am tough to Cabo San Lucas.
Land of Sun, Fun, and Fish. Have fun everyone, see you in a week.
Have a fun and safe time....

silver
EZoto
2004-01-16 20:08:00 UTC
Last night here in Northern NJ it went down to 7 below zero no wind
chill. Because of storm off the coast the winds were strong so the
wind chill was around 30 below zero. Friggin horrible here.

EZoto
Gary G. Taylor
2004-01-16 22:48:54 UTC
Post by EZoto
Last night here in Northern NJ it went down to 7 below zero no wind
chill. Because of storm off the coast the winds were strong so the
wind chill was around 30 below zero. Friggin horrible here.
EZoto
Local (southern California) tEEvEE news carried a clip from a New Hampshire
station: A reporter tosses the contents of a cupful of boiling hot water
into the air. By the time they hit the ground, the water droplets have
frozen.
--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
Richard Edward
2004-01-17 02:25:07 UTC
Post by Gary G. Taylor
Local (southern California) tEEvEE news carried a clip from a New Hampshire
station: A reporter tosses the contents of a cupful of boiling hot water
into the air. By the time they hit the ground, the water droplets have
frozen.
A parlor trick, FWIW. Hot water will freeze faster than cold water in most
cases.

Ok... anyone know why, and what name is given to this phenomenon?

No peeking now. :)
HiEv
2004-01-17 07:49:08 UTC
Post by Richard Edward
Post by Gary G. Taylor
Local (southern California) tEEvEE news carried a clip from a New Hampshire
station: A reporter tosses the contents of a cupful of boiling hot water
into the air. By the time they hit the ground, the water droplets have
frozen.
A parlor trick, FWIW. Hot water will freeze faster than cold water in most
cases.
Ok... anyone know why, and what name is given to this phenomenon?
No peeking now. :)
Off the top of my head, I remember that there's more than one reason
that a volume of hot water may freeze faster than an equal volume of
cold water. Part of the reason is that the hot water will evaporate
faster, leaving less water to freeze, and evaporating the hottest
particles first. Also, hot water in a cold environment will create
faster circulation in the water as the hot water rises and the cold
water sinks, thus distributing the temperature drop more evenly.

Finally, I should point out that hot water does not freeze faster than
cold water most of the time, under common conditions it's more like
"sometimes." The volume of water, temperatures, surface area, and air
circulation all affect whether the hotter water will freeze faster or
slower than the colder water.

If there is some other phenomenon involved I don't recall it right now.

In the case of the reporter the cause was mainly because the temperature
difference readily allowed most of the hottest water to be evaporated
immediately into steam when tossed into the air. (I actually saw them
do this trick on CNN yesterday too.)
--
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence
has its limits.
Richard Edward
2004-01-17 22:46:36 UTC
Post by HiEv
Post by Richard Edward
A parlor trick, FWIW. Hot water will freeze faster than cold water in most
cases.
Off the top of my head, I remember that there's more than one reason
<snip>

<Pastes silver star next to "HiEv" on class roster>

Could have got the gold if you'd come up with the name. ;)

I'll also grovel a bit and admit that I've been saying "most of the time"
while in fact, as you pointed out, it's a "may sometimes happen" thingy.
Maybe *I* should have peeked and not trusted my failing memory, huh? ;o)

Allright ya' whinybaby... you did even better than I did, so here's your
gold star...

<grin>
HiEv
2004-01-18 01:45:44 UTC
Post by Chuck_Sterling
Post by HiEv
Off the top of my head, I remember that there's more than one reason
<snip>
<Pastes silver star next to "HiEv" on class roster>
Could have got the gold if you'd come up with the name. ;)
Eh... I've always been better at remembering how and why things work
than what they were called.
Post by Chuck_Sterling
I'll also grovel a bit and admit that I've been saying "most of the time"
while in fact, as you pointed out, it's a "may sometimes happen" thingy.
Maybe *I* should have peeked and not trusted my failing memory, huh? ;o)
Allright ya' whinybaby... you did even better than I did, so here's your
gold star...
<grin>
When I was a kid I was really into doing "experiments." One of the ones
I really remember was actually the opposite of this one, it was "Does
ice melt faster in cold water or hot water?" I remember being astounded
when the ice melted faster in the cold water. I told my dad about it
but he didn't believe me. Now that I think back I probably didn't make
sure that the ice was the same size, but I was doing that kind of stuff
all the time as a kid.

Also, as an adult, I love watching science TV shows and reading
Scientific American and The Straight Dope:

"Which freezes faster, hot water or cold water?"
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_098b
--
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence
has its limits.
root1657
2004-01-17 18:17:42 UTC
Post by Richard Edward
A parlor trick, FWIW. Hot water will freeze faster than cold water in most
cases.
Ok... anyone know why, and what name is given to this phenomenon?
No peeking now. :)
It was always taught to me that it was all a misunderstanding. Hot water
will loose heat faster, because compared to the same room, it has a
larger delta T (difference in heat) than the cooler water. Because of
this, it will initially loose heat faster, this is true..... BUT, to get
to freezing, it has to get past the temp of the initially cooler sample,
which already had a headstart on it from that point. It wont be carrying
an enertial effect of moving faster, like it if were two bodies in
motion on a hill or something, but instead, instant to instant, it's
cooling is recalculable based on it's difference in temp to the
surroundings, and it's exposed area, and all of that crap.

I've tried all kinds of ways to get hot things to freeze faster than
cool things, but havent been able to ever pull it off.

Here's one that does work.... If you put a cup of water and a cup of
chocolate chips in the microwave, the water will boil before the chips
melt. Sounds crazy until you remember that it is the watr in things that
absorbs the energy to heat from a microwave, and chocolate chips dont
have much water in them....
xxx
Richard Edward
2004-01-17 23:00:16 UTC
Post by root1657
Post by Richard Edward
A parlor trick, FWIW. Hot water will freeze faster than cold water in most
cases.
It was always taught to me that it was all a misunderstanding. Hot water
will loose heat faster, because compared to the same room, it has a
larger delta T (difference in heat) than the cooler water. Because of
this, it will initially loose heat faster, this is true..... BUT, to get
to freezing, it has to get past the temp of the initially cooler sample,
which already had a headstart on it from that point. It wont be carrying
Nope! That's exactly the "linear" thinking that leads most people to
believe that something like this can never occur. But as a cold, hard
lesson in creative thinking (pun intended), hot water *will* freeze faster
than cold in most cases.

As HiEv pointed out, there's more than one reason. Actually, there's more
than one "theory" on why this happens, because other than demonstrating the
fact that it does happen, science is at a bit of a loss to provide a
conclusive "why".

It's called the Mpemba Effect...

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/hot_water.html
root1657
2004-01-19 05:34:29 UTC
Post by Richard Edward
Nope! That's exactly the "linear" thinking that leads most people to
believe that something like this can never occur. But as a cold, hard
lesson in creative thinking (pun intended), hot water *will* freeze faster
than cold in most cases.
As HiEv pointed out, there's more than one reason. Actually, there's more
than one "theory" on why this happens, because other than demonstrating the
fact that it does happen, science is at a bit of a loss to provide a
conclusive "why".
Well, as Hiev also linked, it kinda depends on the temperature ranges
you are dealing with too. As that guy backed me up on, with 'average'
household hot and cold water, the cold does still freeze faster, and it
is at extremem temps with other factors that the hot wins.
repeat link:
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_098b
xxx
Lissi
2004-01-21 12:20:35 UTC
Post by HiEv
It's 5°F (-15°C) right now in Philadelphia. The winds are at 20-30 MPH
(32-48 KPH) right now, which brings the wind chill down to around -10°F
(-23°C).
brrrrrr.....
I *HATE* cold! My heater can barely keep up with the temperatures
outside.
<teeth chattering>
Here, try my Glühwein (spiced wine, lit: glowing wine).

Per 1l of red, dry wine:
pour the wine into a pot
juice of 1 orange (cut 2-3 slices off and throw them in)
3 cloves
2cm from a roll of cinnamon (don't use grinded cinnamon)
3 drops of rum flavour (if you don't get that and have to
use real rum, take ~20ml)
3-5 drops of almond flavour (or 10-20 fine cut almonds)
5cm vanilla (cut open)
5 cardamom "nuts"
add a bit of grinded (ground?) coriander and/or mace
sweeten with honey

Slowly heat the wine, don't cook it. The rum flavour doesn't
contain alcohol (here). You can use alcohol-free wine if you
feel like it - in that case use 5 drops rum flavour.

Lissi
Khayman
2004-01-21 14:08:27 UTC
Post by Lissi
Here, try my Glühwein (spiced wine, lit: glowing wine).
mmmm....yummy!
Works good when its -20 degrees outside and the She sends you out to dig
out the car for her little drive to the supermarket :-)

Khay.
Lissi
2004-01-23 10:15:31 UTC
Post by Khayman
mmmm....yummy!
Works good when its -20 degrees outside and the She sends you out to dig
out the car for her little drive to the supermarket :-)
*grin* See, that's why I think female emancipation shouldn't
stop at treating men and women alike. I mean, where's the
problem in making spiced wine in return for having a man do the
heavy lifting?

Ah, free markets...

Lissi, disgressing
HiEv
2004-01-22 04:57:11 UTC
[snip]
Post by Lissi
Post by HiEv
brrrrrr.....
I *HATE* cold! My heater can barely keep up with the temperatures
outside.
<teeth chattering>
Here, try my Glühwein (spiced wine, lit: glowing wine).
[snip]

Two things you forgot, I don't drink alcohol and that alcohol actually
reduces shivering, so even if you feel warmer you're really getting
colder.

Anyways, I've been in my apartment for three years and I just discovered
last week that one of my double pane windows was actually a single pane
and it was letting in a huge draft. Maintenance fixed it today so
things should be a little warmer...

Of course it's still going down to around 15°F (-9°C) tonight. :-P
--
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence
has its limits.
Lissi
2004-01-23 10:15:43 UTC
Post by HiEv
Two things you forgot, I don't drink alcohol and that alcohol actually
reduces shivering, so even if you feel warmer you're really getting
colder.
Read it again :) You can use alcohol-free wine and the aromata
don't contain alcohol.

The taste suffices to warm you up, trust me :)

I know that alcohol doesn't really make you warm. But if you're
in a warm room and only need to get the blood-circulation going
after you've been out in the cold, a spoonful of (tasty) alcohol
and a hot tub can kickstart the body. OTOH a hot chocolate (real
chocolate, not the pre-digested thing) does the trick as well
and you can use the same spiced/aromata in that, too.
Post by HiEv
Anyways, I've been in my apartment for three years and I just discovered
last week that one of my double pane windows was actually a single pane
and it was letting in a huge draft. Maintenance fixed it today so
things should be a little warmer...
Ouch.
Post by HiEv
Of course it's still going down to around 15°F (-9°C) tonight. :-P
Ah. Well, I wouldn't even close the window for that :)

Lissi
HiEv
2004-01-24 06:12:41 UTC
Post by Lissi
Post by HiEv
Two things you forgot, I don't drink alcohol and that alcohol actually
reduces shivering, so even if you feel warmer you're really getting
colder.
Read it again :) You can use alcohol-free wine and the aromata
don't contain alcohol.
The taste suffices to warm you up, trust me :)
Still, the ingredients are a little expensive since I'm on a budget now
while I'm looking for a job.

I'm back to living on ham and cheese sandwiches like I did in college.

I just remembered my infamous "pizza-ham sandwiches" so I've got to
start making them again. (Slice of bread, ham, thin layer of pizza
sauce, mozzarella. Heat in microwave for 2:00 min at 50%. When it's
done put another slice on top, flip it over, and you've got a pizza-ham
sandwich!)
Post by Lissi
I know that alcohol doesn't really make you warm. But if you're
in a warm room and only need to get the blood-circulation going
after you've been out in the cold,
Heh, well, I've always had lousy circulation. My hands and feet are
almost always cold. Plus I'm 5' 10" and 130 lbs. (that's 177
centimeters tall and 59 kg for you metric people.) I'm skin and bones.
This is why I like it hotter than most people, and despise the cold.
Post by Lissi
a spoonful of (tasty) alcohol
and a hot tub can kickstart the body. OTOH a hot chocolate (real
chocolate, not the pre-digested thing) does the trick as well
and you can use the same spiced/aromata in that, too.
Heh, and I'm also trying to avoid chocolate because of the kidney
stones.

Don't worry, when it comes to food and drink I'm hard to feed unless you
already know what I like. It's well known among any of my friends who
I've eaten with just how picky I am.
Post by Lissi
Post by HiEv
Anyways, I've been in my apartment for three years and I just discovered
last week that one of my double pane windows was actually a single pane
and it was letting in a huge draft. Maintenance fixed it today so
things should be a little warmer...
Ouch.
The repair didn't cost me anything, so it's not a big deal.
Post by Lissi
Post by HiEv
Of course it's still going down to around 15°F (-9°C) tonight. :-P
Ah. Well, I wouldn't even close the window for that :)
Tell you what, go down to 5% body fat (I was last time I checked) and
then tell me that. ;-)
--
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence
has its limits.
Chuck_Sterling
2004-01-16 01:56:46 UTC
silver wrote:
<snip>
Post by silver
The British and others defended the land of Canada from the invaders who
thought we all wanted to be Americians.
Some of my relatives on my Mother's side escaped to Canada after the
war; apparently they were fighting on the wrong side. Much later their
descendants migrated into Michigan (whatever it was called at the time)
via Windsor and homesteaded in the northern part of the lower peninsula.
So there were apparently some temporary Canadians, at least, that wanted
to be...

;-]>

Chuck
Leo Fellmann
2004-01-16 08:36:30 UTC
silver <***@REMOVEbcmarijuanaparty.ca> wrote in news:***@129.250.170.84:
(...)
Post by silver
The British and others defended the land of Canada from the invaders
who thought we all wanted to be Americians.
Hey, keep quiet. Any minute now Napoleon's family will start suing for IP
infringement - he thought of it forst!
pijoe
Actually, Canada was settled by Tories during our War of Independance.
EZoto
2004-01-16 01:15:20 UTC
Post by silver
I'm sorry we beat you in Olympic hockey. In our defense I guess our
excuse would be that our team was much, much, much, much better than
yours.
Excuse me. Our USA junior team just beat your Canada junior team for
the Gold medal in the junior world cup. Just checking to see if you
forgot that.

EZoto
silver
2004-01-16 02:13:40 UTC
Post by EZoto
Excuse me. Our USA junior team just beat your Canada junior team for
the Gold medal in the junior world cup. Just checking to see if you
forgot that.
Was that the Olympics....... and also we gave away that game at the
juniors. :)

Only Country that we see as being on the same level as Canada when it comes
to hockey is Russia.
Now that is always a great Hockey Game when you see those two going at it.

silver
Khayman
2004-01-16 07:37:38 UTC
Post by silver
Only Country that we see as being on the same level as Canada when it comes
to hockey is Russia.
Now that is always a great Hockey Game when you see those two going at it.
Hey, Hey, HEY - now you watch your little steppies there, Slippery Silvery!

I can accept all your US bashing, but now you are on very, very thin
ice.... Everyone knows SWEDEN beats your ass every time we feel like it!

Too bad we haven't really felt like it for some time though...

Khay.
silver

silver
Chesucat
2004-01-16 03:56:38 UTC
silver groveled:
<stuffed your apologies in a sack>
s>We've seen what you do to countries you get upset with.
s>

YOU forgot about selling US a Mad cow!

<chesucat twitches>
--
chesucat_at_sdf_dit_lonestar_dot_org_dah!

:wq
silver
2004-01-16 04:17:50 UTC
Post by Chesucat
YOU forgot about selling US a Mad cow!
We sold the US a calf that came down with BSE, it isn't our fault that
Americans eat sick cows (downers) before testing them. At least Canada
wasn't that retarded.

MMMMM YUM, lets eat that sick cow that can't walk...

silver
DarkSamurai
2004-01-16 04:44:07 UTC
Post by silver
MMMMM YUM, lets eat that sick cow that can't walk...
silver
Bah, let's just sell it to our neighbor instead! ;)

DarkSamurai
2004-01-16 05:07:39 UTC
It's only a joke, no offense intended.

An american (U.S.) was chewing a gum while he saw a canadian eating a
toast with jam.

The american asks the canadian "You canadians eat jam!!??"
The canadian replies "Very good observation.. Why don't you americans
eat jam?"

Then the american, proudly chewing on his gum, replies "Oh no! Here in
the U.S. we eat fruits and all the left overs and the seeds, we throw
them all in a big container and we make jam with it that we sell over to
the Canada!"

So the canadian asks the american "And you americans, do you have sex?"
The american - "Of course we do!!"
The canadian - "And do you use a condom?"
The american - "Well, yeah?"
The canadian - "And what do you do after with your used condom?"
The american, again proudly chewing his gum - "Well like everyone else,
we throw them in the toilet! You canadians don't do that?"
The canadian - Of course not! We throw our used comdoms in a big
container and we make gum with it that we sell over to the U.S.!!!"

BigBadBob
2004-01-16 06:25:28 UTC
You haven't tried Sam Adams then?
silver
2004-01-16 06:49:33 UTC
Post by BigBadBob
You haven't tried Sam Adams then?
lol

silver
HiEv
2004-01-16 08:34:23 UTC
Post by BigBadBob
Post by silver
I'm sorry about your beer. I know we had nothing to do with your beer
but, we Feel your Pain.
You haven't tried Sam Adams then?
Anybody else here reminded of the John Candy movie "Canadian Bacon"?
--
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence
has its limits.
silver
2004-01-16 09:40:40 UTC
Post by HiEv
Anybody else here reminded of the John Candy movie "Canadian Bacon"?
HEHE Deputy Honey and the CN tower..

That is funny movie, most of the crew from the SCTV (canada's SNL) days had
roles in it and many great comedians in small roles.

for those who never heard of it....

The US President, low in the opinion polls, gets talked into raising his
popularity by trying to start a cold war against Canada. (written by
Michael Moore)

silver
HiEv
2004-01-17 01:45:43 UTC
Post by silver
Post by HiEv
Anybody else here reminded of the John Candy movie "Canadian Bacon"?
HEHE Deputy Honey and the CN tower..
That is funny movie, most of the crew from the SCTV (canada's SNL) days had
roles in it and many great comedians in small roles.
for those who never heard of it....
The US President, low in the opinion polls, gets talked into raising his
popularity by trying to start a cold war against Canada. (written by
Michael Moore)
Yeah... I was thinking of the riot John Candy's character started at
the hockey game when he loudly yelled that Canadian beer sucks.
--
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence
has its limits.
silver
2004-01-17 02:26:05 UTC
Post by HiEv
Yeah... I was thinking of the riot John Candy's character started at
the hockey game when he loudly yelled that Canadian beer sucks.
Yah... they are fighting words here. :)

You can say anything about our leaders here, but you attack our beer and we
will fight you... (grin)

silver
Richard Edward
2004-01-17 04:12:42 UTC
Post by silver
You can say anything about our leaders here, but you attack our beer and we
will fight you... (grin)
If Canadians were to produce something that could be loosely classified as
"beer", there might be something to attack...

<grinning, ducking, and running>
HiEv
has its limits.
silver
2004-01-17 11:01:02 UTC
Post by Richard Edward
Post by silver
You can say anything about our leaders here, but you attack our
beer and we will fight you... (grin)
If Canadians were to produce something that could be loosely
classified as "beer", there might be something to attack...
<grinning, ducking, and running>
LOL...

Well if you would put down the Coors (Voted Number one by the KKK and Neo-
Nazis everywhere) and Budlite and try some Canadian Ale, then you might
think otherwise.

Give me anything made by Unibroue from Quebec and I'm happy. In my opinion
they make the best beer in the world ( not that I drank every beer made in
the world yet *Hic* ;) ).
Unibroue beers are very strong but VERY smooth and mellow.... One beer in
particular-"Le Fin Du Monde" is 9% alcohol.

silver
root1657
2004-01-17 18:40:35 UTC
Post by silver
Well if you would put down the Coors (Voted Number one by the KKK and Neo-
Nazis everywhere) and Budlite and try some Canadian Ale, then you might
think otherwise.
If you check, i believe coors has a relativly low marked share, as it
should, because it's crap. But, by the same reasoning that some smokers
use crap smokes because they are cheap, some people d drink crap beer.
I'm not saying american beer is always my first choice, because they are
mostly pilsners, and I'm a stout kinda guy, so i tend for guinness when
it's available. Most of our good stuff these days comes in the form of
micro brew, where a restaurant or an individual will make thier own
stuff. For those in the san diego area, Rock Botoom in Lajolla makes a
damn good india pale, and an oatmeal stout.
Post by silver
Give me anything made by Unibroue from Quebec and I'm happy. In my opinion
they make the best beer in the world ( not that I drank every beer made in
the world yet *Hic* ;) ).
Unibroue beers are very strong but VERY smooth and mellow.... One beer in
particular-"Le Fin Du Monde" is 9% alcohol.
they would have a serious marketing problem with that name in the US....
no one here would want a uni-brow.
xxx
Richard Edward
2004-01-18 00:10:20 UTC
Post by silver
Well if you would put down the Coors (Voted Number one by the KKK and Neo-
Nazis everywhere) and Budlite and try some Canadian Ale, then you might
think otherwise.
If you check, I believe coors has a relativly low marked share, as it
..tends to be unsuitable for anything but extinguishing the trash fires
used to brew it.
should, because it's crap. But, by the same reasoning that some smokers
use crap smokes because they are cheap, some people d drink crap beer.
A good friend of mine drinks Bush.

About as close as I want to get to that, is eating it. ;)
I'm not saying american beer is always my first choice, because they are
mostly pilsners, and I'm a stout kinda guy, so I tend for guinness when
Trivia: Alcohol in beer is supplied by colonies of live critters called
"yeast" consuming hops, barley, oats, etc. As these yeast critters eat, so
do they urinate... alcohol. Of course like so many other critters, their
waste isn't exactly "healthy" to them, so as the urin levels increase, they
die. Science and common sense dictate that there's a logical point at which
urin saturation disallows any more urin production. ;)

Guinness was the very first brewer to figure a way to "break" the barrier,
and thus Guinness Stout was born. Many have copied this miracle, and even
improved on it, but Guinness was the first. All hail Guinness!
it's available. Most of our good stuff these days comes in the form of
micro brew, where a restaurant or an individual will make thier own
My poor dear lad, you MUST get out more. There's an abundance of excellent
"midi-brews" out there if you look around. You probably won't find them
dribbling through the salsa encrusted facial hairs of the town drunk in
your local shot and beer bar on two-for-a-buck taco night, but a
distributor of ANY worth will carry at least a transient selection.

Get to know your distributor. Gain their confidence so that you might
wander their inner sanctum and be permitted to gently caress each
mysteriously colored enshroudment in that "secret back corner" until you
sense something enticing. Invite the owner over for dinner. Bribe them, or
offer up your girlfriend/wife if you have to. We *are* talking about beer
after all, and you'll find that a satisfied distributor can be easily
persuaded to "make a few calls" in your quest for that nectar God gives
Angels when they've been especially good.

Once you have your distributor in pocket, work on your pub owner. Some
evening after spending enough money to cover their monthly electric bill,
casually suggest that it might be nice if they'd carry Edmund Fitzgerald (a
good starting point). When the proprietor checks the knotting of his foot
covers and starts to mumble something about "can't get that" you smile and
say "ahhhh my good man, but yes you can...".

Trust me grasshopper, I know of what I speak. <grin>
root1657
2004-01-18 21:30:16 UTC
Post by Richard Edward
Trivia: Alcohol in beer is supplied by colonies of live critters called
"yeast" consuming hops, barley, oats, etc.
Triva: I was saying that for anyone near san diego, rock bottom has a
good india pale. India pale was invented by the brittish, who were
always good enough to keep thier military well lubed. to keep the stuff
going to india in the right shape, they added more hops, which made it
stronger. The men who drank it would get that much more hammered that
much easier, and were said to be all hopped up... the term now applies
to anything sufficiently overdone.
Post by Richard Edward
Post by root1657
it's available. Most of our good stuff these days comes in the form of
micro brew, where a restaurant or an individual will make thier own
My poor dear lad, you MUST get out more. There's an abundance of excellent
"midi-brews" out there if you look around. You probably won't find them
dribbling through the salsa encrusted facial hairs of the town drunk in
your local shot and beer bar on two-for-a-buck taco night, but a
distributor of ANY worth will carry at least a transient selection.
Actually, someone said something recently about mad anthony, which didnt
hit me until i went out to dinner last night and i realized that it was
made in fort wayne (get it, mad anthony wayne?) so someone is either
shipping it, or someone has been around here lately.....
xxx
Richard Edward
2004-01-17 22:08:40 UTC
Post by silver
Post by Richard Edward
If Canadians were to produce something that could be loosely
classified as "beer", there might be something to attack...
Well if you would put down the Coors (Voted Number one by the KKK and Neo-
Nazis everywhere) and Budlite and try some Canadian Ale, then you might
think otherwise.
The ursine members of your tribe appear to believe so anyway...

<grin>
Post by silver
Give me anything made by Unibroue from Quebec and I'm happy.
Heh! "Unibrow"...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=unibrow

"Growth of eyebrows such that it creates one long brow instead
of two, seen often in cavemen and idiots."

Hey... Do they still silk screen "Brewed From The Exotic Man Made Waters Of
Lake Ontario" on every bottle?

<GRIN>
Post by silver
In my opinion
they make the best beer in the world ( not that I drank every beer made in
the world yet *Hic* ;)
The *best* beer in the world would of course be Belgium's Westvleteren Abt
12. Followed closely by two stouts and an IPA, all from American
breweries... Victory, Stone, and Three Floyds. Number five is a German
Doppelbock, and the list continues down the page with a mixture of German,
Belgian, UK, and American fare. Canada's *best*, your La Fin Du Monde,
ranks a sad #34 out of the top 50 in the world.

I mean really now, this is all *very* well documented and *completely*
indisputable scientifically proven fact...

http://www.beeradvocate.com/top_beers.php

<STILL grinning>
Post by silver
Unibroue beers are very strong but VERY smooth and mellow.... One beer in
particular-"Le Fin Du Monde" is 9% alcohol.
Well there you have it! Canadians OBVIOUSLY use a rather warped yardstick
by which to measure such things. There's a little known Korean brewery that
pumps out sludge of an even slightly higher alcohol content. Marginally
useful for charming the knickers off a reluctant prom date, but of course
it tastes exactly like what it is... mostly yeast piss.

<HUGE GRIN>

DAMN! Now all I can think about is the virgin case of Harp Strong that's
been chilling in my basement for apparently far too long now. Methinks I'll
be off to the distributor for a complimentary case of stout.

Anyone up for some *REAL* Black-and-Tan? ;)
Lissi
2004-01-21 12:20:35 UTC
Post by silver
LOL...
Well if you would put down the Coors (Voted Number one by the KKK and Neo-
Nazis everywhere) and Budlite and try some Canadian Ale, then you might
think otherwise.
Give me anything made by Unibroue from Quebec and I'm happy. In my opinion
they make the best beer in the world ( not that I drank every beer made in
the world yet *Hic* ;) ).
Unibroue beers are very strong but VERY smooth and mellow.... One beer in
particular-"Le Fin Du Monde" is 9% alcohol.
I'm sorry, but I haven't seen anything that even losely resembles
beer coming from that continent yet. USians and Canadians can
fight all they want, I stick with German beer. Prosit![1]

Lissi
[1] That's Latin for "may it be useful". It's the common toast
here, often shortened to "Prost".
moose
2004-01-21 19:11:41 UTC
Post by Lissi
Post by silver
LOL...
Well if you would put down the Coors (Voted Number one by the KKK and Neo-
Nazis everywhere) and Budlite and try some Canadian Ale, then you might
think otherwise.
Give me anything made by Unibroue from Quebec and I'm happy. In my opinion
they make the best beer in the world ( not that I drank every beer made in
the world yet *Hic* ;) ).
Unibroue beers are very strong but VERY smooth and mellow.... One beer in
particular-"Le Fin Du Monde" is 9% alcohol.
I'm sorry, but I haven't seen anything that even losely resembles
beer coming from that continent yet. USians and Canadians can
fight all they want, I stick with German beer. Prosit![1]
So true. I prefer from dark beers Czech Rep. Velkopopoviky Kozell[1].
From Lager I have to go with Finnish Sibrychoff KOFF III with 4.5%
alcohol. There are stronger ones but taste is just perfect
with 4.5%. Also beer must be in botle or from tap, I don't
know what is wrong with cans, but beers taste like shit when drink
from them. My personal opinion is that beer looses it taste when
it is stronger than 6%.

[1] Also very good beer to keep you sober enought. After you can't
pronounce it right to order one you have had enough.
Thats the reason why KOFF name was changed from
sinebrychoff[2] to KOFF.

[2] Also name of the brewery.
Lissi
2004-01-23 10:15:30 UTC
Post by moose
So true. I prefer from dark beers Czech Rep. Velkopopoviky Kozell[1].
From Lager I have to go with Finnish Sibrychoff KOFF III with 4.5%
alcohol. There are stronger ones but taste is just perfect
with 4.5%. Also beer must be in botle or from tap, I don't
know what is wrong with cans, but beers taste like shit when drink
from them. My personal opinion is that beer looses it taste when
it is stronger than 6%.
[snip]

I'm absolutely certain that canned beer has been invented to
permit people to wrap an old soft drink can around it. Here
you can get it, but it's generally looked at a beer for people
too cheap to have style.

Bottled beer is not much better, the only difference is that
it's less damaging to the environment.

I prefer it fresh. At the brewery if possible[1].

Lissi
[1] Cologne is famous for that. Koelsch is not the best beer
to carry around, but it's pretty good if you get it at the
brewery. There are actually guided tours through the various
breweries for foreigners who want an education ;)
Lissi
2004-01-23 18:09:10 UTC
On 23 Jan 2004 the suspect Lissi said:

[snip]
Post by Lissi
breweries for foreigners who want an education ;)
Sorry, I need to explain that. "Foreigners" means everybody not
from Cologne.

Lissi
root1657
2004-01-17 18:30:35 UTC
Post by silver
Yah... they are fighting words here. :)
You can say anything about our leaders here, but you attack our beer and we
will fight you... (grin)
There was a canadian guy in the little bar and steak house in my home
town one night, not terribly far from canada, and he was sitting at the
bar, and made a comment that the beer was horrible.... The guy next to
him said his was fine, and took a sip of the suppossedly bad beer to
check it.... said he wasnt sure and passed it to the next guy to
check... all the way down the row..... by the time the pint got back, it
was of course empty. The canadian just kinda looked at it there on the
bar not knowing what to say, and the bar back put a new one down in
front of him. With all eyes on him and this new beer, someone asked if
that one was better (same stuff from the same tap), he took a taste and
looked at all those guys waiting to give him a second opinion again, and
he was like, yeah, this one is just fine, and guarded it closely....
Seems that once things were put in perspective for him, he liked it just
fine....
xxx
Richard Edward
2004-01-16 15:47:40 UTC
Post by BigBadBob
Post by silver
I'm sorry about your beer. I know we had nothing to do with your beer
but, we Feel your Pain.
You haven't tried Sam Adams then?
Sam Adams is ok... if your a girlie-man. <grin>

I prefer a Victory Storm King or Stone Double Bastard depending on my mood,
and if I want something a little more "crisp", an ice cold Stone India
Pale. Maybe a Rogue Chocolate Stout for desert.

Then again, even a piss warm Railbender or Mad Anthony with a human hair in
it beats the snot out of anything our Labatt swilling friends to the north
can brew. ;-)

Even our bottles are cooler... "I'll storm hell, if you'll just plan
it". <grin>
[_ "] |_| (_] ]_ |_| (_]
2004-01-16 07:04:11 UTC
Post by silver
On behalf of Canadians everywhere I'd like to offer an apology to the
United States of America.
Thanks silver, I really appreciate your saying so.

I think our real problem is a failure to communicate. Ever since the tri-
lateral trade agreement was signed between the three noble sovereignties of
North America, we have had a great opportunity for increased communication
and exchange of goods, services, and ideas. The problem is: although it
comes naturally to converse in spanish in many areas of the United States
of America, no one I know can speak canadian. They may scoff, "You're in
America, speak english!"

It just seems a shame...

You want to know something really freaky? People in the USoA are
hearkening back to the "good old days" when Ronald Reagan was president.
Remember that? Reagan Youth, Evil Empire, Cold War, Red Dawn, MX missile
silos, nuclear winter? Maybe we're just trying to recapture some of the
old romance, eh?
--
/_\ ]_ ]_ _/ [_] [_] |7_ ]! /_\ _[" [. /_\ |7_ [.
]! [. ]_ [_] ]\[ [_, "] [_] (_] _["

[_ "] |_| (_] ]_ |_| (_]
pijoe
Silver--That was funny!
root1657
2004-01-17 17:41:27 UTC
Post by silver
On behalf of Canadians everywhere I'd like to offer an apology to the
United States of America.
I think your dictionary needs new batteries, or maybe mine does, because
you call it an appology, but you seem to have been going for inflamitory
instead of apologetic. That really does not suprise me though.

Where I'm from, its customary to thank a person after an apology, to
show there are no hard feelings, so um, thanks for the mad cow.
xxx
silver
2004-01-20 00:49:23 UTC
Post by root1657
I think your dictionary needs new batteries, or maybe mine does, because
you call it an appology, but you seem to have been going for inflamitory
instead of apologetic. That really does not suprise me though.
Where I'm from, its customary to thank a person after an apology, to
show there are no hard feelings, so um, thanks for the mad cow.
Learn what a joke is (are you that uptight); this is why I say that no
matter what I say, you will say something negative about it.

and the mad cow thing, the US has as much to blame for it as Canada does so
you best be thanking your own Gov't on this.

silver
root1657
2004-01-20 05:07:48 UTC
Post by silver
Learn what a joke is (are you that uptight); this is why I say that no
matter what I say, you will say something negative about it.
See, the thing is, you post so much stuff that is obvious anti-american
that I'm not taking this as a joke from you. Play it off that way if you
want, but I think the people here are smart enough to know you arent
joking, you are soap boxing and spinning. To claim otherwise will be to
insult the intelligence of the readership.
Post by silver
and the mad cow thing, the US has as much to blame for it as Canada does so
you best be thanking your own Gov't on this.
Oh yeah, I throw a smiley in and everything, after the talk we had where
i did show trmendous concern for the whole cow situation, and you try to
point the whole finger at us for this one too? Heres a whacky freaking
idea, how about when one of your cows goes down with mad cow, you might
want to maybe pick up a phone and let us know that the cow we got from
you might have an inherited problem.....
xxx
DarkSamurai
2004-01-20 05:15:51 UTC
Post by silver
and the mad cow thing, the US has as much to blame for it as Canada
does so you best be thanking your own Gov't on this.
Oh yeah, I throw a smiley in and everything, after the talk we had where
i did show trmendous concern for the whole cow situation, and you try to
point the whole finger at us for this one too? Heres a whacky freaking
idea, how about when one of your cows goes down with mad cow, you might
want to maybe pick up a phone and let us know that the cow we got from
you might have an inherited problem.....
xxx
Come on guys... It's not the Canadian's fault , nor the U.S.... It's the
cows's fault!! She's gone maaaaad!!!!!!!! ;)

root1657
2004-01-20 05:37:04 UTC
Post by DarkSamurai
Come on guys... It's not the Canadian's fault , nor the U.S.... It's the
cows's fault!! She's gone maaaaad!!!!!!!! ;)
Two cows are standing in a field, and one looks at the other and says
"hey, what do you think of this mad cow stuff" and the other one says"
why should I care, I'm a squirrel"

I dont care who you are, that's funny....
xxx
Chuck Sterling
2004-01-20 05:47:07 UTC
Post by root1657
Post by DarkSamurai
Come on guys... It's not the Canadian's fault , nor the U.S.... It's
the cows's fault!! She's gone maaaaad!!!!!!!! ;)
Two cows are standing in a field, and one looks at the other and says
"hey, what do you think of this mad cow stuff" and the other one says"
why should I care, I'm a squirrel"
I dont care who you are, that's funny....
xxx
Bill Cosby did a bit about hoof and mouth disease years ago. The gist of
it was that the cows were talking about where they were going, and one
says they're going to be killed. The other says why, and the answer is
"hoof and mouth". Then the first asks, what's hoof and mouth? See that
foam around your mouth? Yeah. Well, that's hoof and mouth. What can we
do to keep from being killed? Wipe that foam off your mouth...

Chuck
silver
2004-01-20 06:24:22 UTC
Post by root1657
Two cows are standing in a field, and one looks at the other and says
"hey, what do you think of this mad cow stuff" and the other one says"
why should I care, I'm a squirrel"
I dont care who you are, that's funny....
You should tell this joke to this guys family...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/11/24/health/main585170.shtml

and see if they find it funny.

silver
root1657
2004-01-21 03:52:08 UTC
Post by silver
Post by root1657
Two cows are standing in a field, and one looks at the other and says
"hey, what do you think of this mad cow stuff" and the other one says"
why should I care, I'm a squirrel"
I dont care who you are, that's funny....
You should tell this joke to this guys family...
OK, first of all, it was a freaking joke, so get off my nuts, which i
belive was what started this in the first place. Secondly, the 'i dont
care who you are' comment is a common comedy tag most popularly used by
'larry the cable guy'. Lighten up man.
xxx
silver
2004-01-21 04:12:42 UTC
Post by root1657
OK, first of all, it was a freaking joke, so get off my nuts,
So was mine.... and I am not on you nuts... you got them covered by some
guys ass.

silver
root1657
2004-01-24 22:02:11 UTC
Post by silver
So was mine.... and I am not on you nuts... you got them covered by some
guys ass.
Does talk like that make you feel like some kind of cool tough guy or
what? Remember the post where you said you werent calling people names?
well, i guess implying it isnt actually the same as calling me a homo,
so i'll give you that one, but of couse if I imply that you are just an
ignorant ass, that isnt the same as calling you that either, is it?
xxx
Leo Fellmann
ACK. No brit would get offended by a joke about BSE.
silver
2004-01-20 05:59:29 UTC
Post by root1657
Heres a whacky freaking
idea, how about when one of your cows goes down with mad cow, you might
want to maybe pick up a phone and let us know that the cow we got from
you might have an inherited problem.....
Inherited........... LOL You are funny.

It was not linked to the Bull that came down with Mad Cow in Canada.
Another thing learn where BSE comes from.... Calfs are not born with BSE,
they get it from the Feed that is fed to it. Do some homework.........

Did you know that the cow found in the US to have BSE was a downer? And
when we found the case of BSE in Canada we let the world know about this...
so where you get off in saying that no one was told about it.

You should really read up on the BSE issue.....

http://www.organicconsumers.org/madcow.htm

silver
root1657
2004-01-21 03:55:53 UTC
Post by silver
Post by root1657
Heres a whacky freaking
idea, how about when one of your cows goes down with mad cow, you might
want to maybe pick up a phone and let us know that the cow we got from
you might have an inherited problem.....
Inherited........... LOL You are funny.
Thank you for catching my typo, I had meant to say inherent, not
inherited. :
inherent - "in the nature of something though not readily apparent"

again, you need to chill the hell out man....
xxx
silver
2004-01-21 04:10:20 UTC
Post by root1657
again, you need to chill the hell out man....
LOL... You are funny.... how long would it take to chill hell.

silver
root1657
2004-01-24 22:04:30 UTC
Post by silver
Post by root1657
again, you need to chill the hell out man....
LOL... You are funny.... how long would it take to chill hell.
I didnt say chill hell, I said chill the hell, which is valid slang as
any american here can confirm. If you really wanted to know though how
long it would take to chill hell, all you really need to do is apply
some fundamental physics, but that would reuire us to know the starting
temp and the rate at which we can remove the heat, so be sure to take a
thermometer with ya when you go.
xxx

First Prophet of Kaos
2004-01-21 05:54:28 UTC
Post by silver
Post by root1657
Heres a whacky freaking
idea, how about when one of your cows goes down with mad cow, you might
want to maybe pick up a phone and let us know that the cow we got from
you might have an inherited problem.....
Inherited........... LOL You are funny.
It was not linked to the Bull that came down with Mad Cow in Canada.
Another thing learn where BSE comes from.... Calfs are not born with BSE,
they get it from the Feed that is fed to it. Do some homework.........
Did you know that the cow found in the US to have BSE was a downer? And
when we found the case of BSE in Canada we let the world know about this...
so where you get off in saying that no one was told about it.
Probably from a misquote of what premier Ralph Klein said about the
incident. I'm not sure myself what the full context was, but the
phrase "Shoot, shovel and shut up" did come from his mouth.
--
You can't claim the moral highground
By sinking to your enemy's level.
silver
2004-01-21 06:29:13 UTC
Post by First Prophet of Kaos
"Shoot, shovel and shut up"
LOL... ya that was a funny joke he made along the lines of what he was
talking about.