Resonant tunneling diodes and hydrogen fusion
Big Bad Bombastic Bob
2023-12-31 19:45:46 UTC
Sometimes Wikipedia can be very useful [when bias cannot be a factor] so
you'll see some Wikipedia links in this.

I have had ideas about nuclear fusion for a long time, it STILL being
unrealized (in a useful sense) since the invention of the Tokomak. I
think it is being OVER-researched, because there is no sense of urgency.

Currently there are 2 competing methods (that I know of) to get short
term >1:1 energy out of fusion: One is a Tokomak-like system (most
research done here). The other is "inertial confinement" where a
crapload of lasers blast a (very expensive) fuel pellet from all
directions until it undergoes fusion.

To the best of my knowledge, NONE of them use resonant energies.

In electronics there is a device called a 'Resonant Tunnel Diode' which
is very new/expensive/hard-to-make but has a LOT of potential:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resonant-tunneling_diode

Tunneling can be described as a small percentage of particles being able
to get through a barrier without having sufficient energy to cross it.

long link:
https://phys.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/University_Physics/University_Physics_(OpenStax)/University_Physics_III_-_Optics_and_Modern_Physics_(OpenStax)/07%3A_Quantum_Mechanics/7.07%3A_Quantum_Tunneling_of_Particles_through_Potential_Barriers

tiny link:
http://tinyurl.com/taduw9re

Other info here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_tunnelling

In a semiconductor, you need sufficient voltage to get it to conduct,
but tunneling allows it to conduct a *tiny* amount below that. A tunnel
diode leverages this by being heavily 'doped', which causes a 'negative
resistance' region (i.e. voltage up, current down) in its operating
curve, which can be used for an amplifier.

A resonant tunnel diode has multiple barriers, and at a 'resonant'
energy ALL of them can be crossed by an incoming particle (in this case
electrons) and as such the conductivity is much better at those energies
(think voltage) than a regular tunnel diode.

In fact, at the right energy, the probability of tunneling is 1, i.e.
100%, which is the same conductivity as if the diode were operating at
the normal potential WITHOUT tunneling. In other words, these resonant
energies ELIMINATE the barriers entirely.

This is the *KIND* of RESONANCE energy I have been considering with
respect to fusion. In the sun H-H fusion reactions actually happen at a
much lower temperature than expected BECAUSE of tunneling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton%E2%80%93proton_chain

For the barrier between hydrogen nuclei there is something called a
'Gamow window' i.e. a range of energies in which tunneling occurs and
the probabilities of it occuring:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamow_window

As far as I can tell this is for a SINGLE barrier and is generic for any
particle interactions involving tunneling (though the various constants
would be different for each type of interaction).

There is also a secondary type of fusion reaction that is more common in
heavier stars, the "CNO" cycle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNO_cycle

This was once thought to be the only reaction in the sun, but was later
theorized (and then measured and proven using neutrino detectors) NOT to
be the case.

CNO cycle happens at higher energy levels and involves Carbon, Nitrogen,
and Oxygen (and sometimes Flourine, Neon, and some slightly heavier
elements). In short the fusion process adds protons one at a time,
starting with carbon. When the result is unstable one of the protons
becomes a neutron by spitting out a positron and a neutrino. As the
element gets heavier, it eventually spits out an alpha particle (which
is basically a helium nucleus) and (generaly) becomes carbon again.

Each reaction here, of course, would also fall under the probabilities
of tunneling.

So here's the thing: WHAT IF multiple barriers can be created AND the
energy of protons be controlled such that it is ALWAYS at this resonant
energy? If it is sufficiently low, fusion would become VERY economical.

In electronics there is a device known as a "Travelling wave tube".
Back in the dark ages of electronics, where satellites first needed
microwave communications, they used these things a lot in low power
transmitters and signal amplifiers on satellites. (apparently they are
still in use today in a lot of applications, just as magenetrons are
used in radars and microwave ovens).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveling-wave_tube

These devices work by 'bunching' electrons in a beam, through the use of
resonant cavities and/or a helix with a resonant circuit attached to it.
In short you can make a tuned beam of particle bunches at a specific
frequency.

The key here is the 'bunching'. The energy of the particles is
determined based on voltages and magnetic fields in the tube. HOWEVER,
if these bunches were sufficiently compact, and the energy 'resonant',
smashing them into other bunches COULD result in fusion. Resonant
energies are lower than blasting with lasers or heating plasma, perhaps
WAY lower.

The trick here is to create multiple barriers. But there is no reason
why you cannot smash (let's say) HEAVY OIL together to create fusion.
Heavy oil (containing heavy hydrogen) would get you the Deuterium +
Deuterium or Deuterium + Tritium reaction, which releases the most
energy, as well as (possibly) a portion of the CNO cycle. With both
carbon AND hydrogen you now (potentially) have TWO barriers. So the
idea is to smash hydrocarbon plasma (with heavy hydrogen) bunches into
one another at ExACTLY the right energy.

Then the probability of fusion should be VERY high.

Anyway this is the kind of thing I mull over when I have time to think.
Auric__
2024-01-02 05:31:27 UTC
Post by Big Bad Bombastic Bob
I have had ideas about nuclear fusion for a long time, it STILL being
unrealized (in a useful sense) since the invention of the Tokomak. I
think it is being OVER-researched, because there is no sense of urgency.
[snip]
Post by Big Bad Bombastic Bob
Anyway this is the kind of thing I mull over when I have time to think.
I don't really understand most things electronic at a non-layman level. I
mean, yeah, I get the logic of many things -- especially those things that
have analogs in programming -- but not the hardware-level understanding
necessary to, well, understand them. I wish my father was still alive; he
once offered to teach me, said it would take a weekend, and I told him words
to the effect of "some other time."

Also, back in 7th or 8th grade, I did a science fair presentation of the
state of the art of fusion at the time (1988/89/90). I included cold fusion
in my report. My conclusion was effectively "this ain't Back to the Future;
fusion probably won't happen in our lifetimes; cold fusion might never be
possible."
These are dangerous words. How is it you dare such words?
Big Bad Bombastic Bob
2024-01-30 19:52:48 UTC
Post by Auric__
Post by Big Bad Bombastic Bob
I have had ideas about nuclear fusion for a long time, it STILL being
unrealized (in a useful sense) since the invention of the Tokomak. I
think it is being OVER-researched, because there is no sense of urgency.
[snip]
Post by Big Bad Bombastic Bob
Anyway this is the kind of thing I mull over when I have time to think.
I don't really understand most things electronic at a non-layman level. I
mean, yeah, I get the logic of many things -- especially those things that
have analogs in programming -- but not the hardware-level understanding
necessary to, well, understand them. I wish my father was still alive; he
once offered to teach me, said it would take a weekend, and I told him words
to the effect of "some other time."
it'd take a BIT more thaN a weekend...

Some additional study has proved some of my ideas, actually, with
respect to magnetic compression.

THESE guys are working on magneto-inertial confinement, a kind of
hybrid, where an electric current causes nearby conductors to 'squeeze
together', and then they blast it with lasers. Still needs a kind of
fuel pellet though, and they are relatively expensive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helion_Energy

What I propose is bunching at a resonant energy, and interestingly
enough, induced current might also help compress it. Firing a laser at
the "bunches" might be enough to start it, then 'turn up the volume' to
sustain it.

Something else I've kicked around in my head is based on the pistol
shrimp, which uses its claws to produce cavitation and as short distance
shock wave to stun prey. The bubble collapse actually causes a flash of
light, and in theory you could do this for fusion in heavy water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_fusion

Unfortunately not very practical, but it at least has been looked at.
Post by Auric__
Also, back in 7th or 8th grade, I did a science fair presentation of the
state of the art of fusion at the time (1988/89/90). I included cold fusion
in my report. My conclusion was effectively "this ain't Back to the Future;
fusion probably won't happen in our lifetimes; cold fusion might never be
possible."
I think the reason it is NOT being done is a lack of urgency. SPACE
TRAVEL is likely to change that. Unfortunately, unless Elon (or someone
like him) gets something moving, in the realm of space travel, AND soon
enough to make a difference, society will CONTINUE to be deliberately
"held back" by those who control. "For our own good"