Japanese court ruling to force algorithm "reveal"
Big Bad Bombastic Bob
2022-07-05 13:02:57 UTC
https://tech.slashdot.org/story/22/07/04/198227/japanese-court-ruling-poised-to-make-big-tech-open-up-on-algorithms

"Japanese legal experts have said an antitrust case related to a local
restaurant website could change how large internet platforms such as
Google, Facebook and Amazon operate in the country, forcing them to
reveal the inner workings of their secret algorithms."

"Japanese legal experts said the outcome may have far-reaching
implications, as the court requested Kakaku.com to disclose part of its
algorithms."

"Big Tech groups have long argued that their algorithms should be
considered trade secrets in all circumstances. Courts and regulators
across the world have begun to challenge that position, with many
businesses having complained about the negative impact caused by even
small changes to search and recommendations services."

This should get interesting...
--
(aka 'Bombastic Bob' in case you wondered)

'Feeling with my fingers, and thinking with my brain' - me

'your story is so touching, but it sounds just like a lie'
"Straighten up and fly right"
Auric__
2022-07-05 16:14:51 UTC
Post by Big Bad Bombastic Bob
[...]
The algorithm -- the "how" -- I have no problem letting the details stay
secret. It's the "what" I'm concerned with: the collected data.
--
- Does she ever stop?
- I haven't been able to find the off switch.
Big Bad Bombastic Bob
2022-07-18 19:23:01 UTC
Post by Auric__
[...]
yeah, but I am hoping that the algorithm that captures the information
will also reveal what info is (or potentially is) captured and under
what context. It would also reveal who is capturing such data and
possibly WHY and how it gets used.

"far-reaching implications"